reselling the piano service

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 09:27:18 -0600

Hi Brett,

I tune regularly in a big auditorium.  I always charge my full fee for =
both the initial tuning and touch-up (even if I hardly have to do =
anything--I'm there).  If I have to take care of a problem that I don't =
consider normal concert prep, I bill that separately.   I also find out =
what time I need to be back for the touch-up.  I'm not always interested =
in doing other work in-between, because the piano is troublesome and =
takes a lot of energy--so I just charge more for the work I do there.  =
:-)   I have no idea what the auditorium charges for my work, but they =
always pay me.  My situation may be unique(?) because I was hired to =
turn around a bad piano situation.=20
 =20
As far as tuning conditions go--well, I'm glad I have an Accutuner, =
because sometimes the stage is so noisy I rely <heavily> on it.  I have =
relaxed a lot since I started working there.  Though I have done my best =
to educate the tech staff about what will help me give good results (and =
will continue to remind them), I just go in and do the best I can.  When =
conditions are really bad, I <politely> inform them my take on the =
situation, either on the spot or with a follow up memo.  The memo goes =
to the stage manager, the technical director and the auditorium manager. =
 I work hard at communicating with them, though occasionally I feel like =
I'm yelling into a great abyss...

Hope this is helpful.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

  ----- Original Message -----=20