regluing hammers

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:48:33 -0500

Carl left out the step of turning the action upside down while in the
cradle. This gives you easy access to the glue joint.

If you are going to use the drops of water you might put a little
surfactant in there first, like wallpaper paste remover. That will aide
the water in soaking into the joint. I usually just spray plenty of
accelerator on the joint before applying the CA and skip the water. But
some people like to avoid breathing the accelerator.

This procedure actually should be pretty standard operating procedure
anytime you get a 50+ year old action on the bench. It's very simple,
fast, and cheap. Older actions almost always have a few loose hammers
and even if they don't this heads off potential loose hammers.

Ditto for the jack flange to whippen glue joint. CA glue these joints on
every older upright action you get in. Also do the 2 piece jacks on all
older grand actions.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Carl Meyer
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:02 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: regluing hammers

Why remove the head?  Put the action in a cradle, put one drop of water
in each bottom of the hammer and shank interface, let dry for while.
Then apply ca glue (thin) and move the hammer enough to distribute the
ca glue and hold it in the right position for a few seconds until the
glue sets.  CA glue sets by absorbing moisture from the air, that's the
reason for the water.  A second pass may be necessary.

Happy gluing

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.