Changing Humidity & Concert Tuning, was: FT.com article

Mark Dierauf pianotech@nhpianos.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:20:04 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_00D8_01C5FCFD.F43533E0

Years ago we had a summer music festival move their D under a tent for
part of their season and we had the bright idea of covering the piano
with plastic and putting a low wattage light under it to keep it dry. It
did, but when the sun went down it attracted every moth in the area.

Seriously though, a portable hair drier can be used to dry out action
centers pretty quickly in a pinch.

-          Mark Dierauf
-
-----Original Message-----
From: Farrell [mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 5:56 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Changing Humidity & Concert Tuning, was: FT.com article

Next Friday I will be tuning a 7-foot Yamaha grand piano for a 5-piece
jazz performance. The stage will be outside under a tent roof. The piano
will be delivered and set up on the stage on Wednesday. So, whatever the
weather is doing at that time it will have a couple days to trash the
piano one way or another, no doubt.

I feel comfortable going into this situation, but I must admit, I
haven't a clue as to what to expect. Winter day time is usually pretty
dry down here in central Florida, yet most nights humidity goes right up
to 100%.

Anyone with any constructive thoughts on this one? What to prepare for,
etc., etc.? Any horror stories about similar situations?

I was thinking that what the dude really needs to do is install a
high-power DC dehumidification system under the piano with a good bottom
cover and then put one of those quilted covers over the entire piano.
Can't imagine they'll do it, but seems to me anything less is courting
disaster - unstable tuning, sluggish action, etc., etc.

Terry Farrell