Voicing question

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:23:47 -0700

Hi ?
Your client has become use to the noise of the dampers. I would suggest =
proper trimming of the excess felt.
On voicing, start taking a lot of classes on the subject to get an idea =
of how it can be done with Needles, Steam, Pliers, Lacker etc. etc,
The subject is very broad in scope and you need to start in a narrow =
area, and try just a few limited techniques to see what happens when----
Also limit your work at first to a few hammers not the whole keyboard.
Like evening out the bass tenor break. To get started use the needle or =
easier voicing pliers. There are Three types that I am aware of.
Modified visegrips, curved parallel pliers, and my tool #318

Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: KeyKat88@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:44 AM
  Subject: Voicing question

  Greetings,

          Last year a customer recently bought a new Kawaii 6' grand. =
She complained that the piano sounded "stringy". I observed that when =
the damper felts raised with the keystroke this is what was causing the =
strings to "zing" causing the "stringy" sound. =20

          I told her to "wear in" the piano in a year or so and the =
noise would diminish. Sure enough now,. a year later the piano sounds =
much better. However she would like what she refers to as a "richer" =
sound. I believe I can accomplish this with voicing, but I don't know =
how to go about it. What gives a piano a richer sound?  I would think =
"rich" entails a deep "thunderous" bass and a very and velvety midrange =
along with a mellow treble,  as opposed to a "twinkly" or  "glittery" =
treble. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be helpful.

  Thanks in advance
  Key