Bass Players (was Cleaning Bass Strings)

A440 Piano Service a440@bresnan.net
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 06:33:39 -0700

 Geesh. I was the one who STARTED the post about cleaning bass strings. =
Little did I know it would degenerate into a good ol' boys bass club. =
Thankfully, none of you has resorted (yet) to puns about it, which seems =
the favorite form of humor shared by those of the lower register ilk. =
(Admittedly more by lower BRASS players -- lowlifes. Ooops, I just did =
it.)

Anyway, I suppose I have to admit to being something of a kindred =
spirit. I'm a drummer. And without a bass player to work with, =
preferably a good 'un, music is just not gonna make anybody dance. =
Thanks to all of you for being part of the battery!

One more bass player anecdote. The antithesis to the one about the =
maniac who spent all his earnings by changing strings for each take in =
the studio... I heard that James Jamerson, "Funk Brother" at Motown =
Records once received as a present a new set of shiny, clean bass =
strings. Ruined his signature sound. I s'pose all the grime and grease =
kept his tone very fundamental and all those new upper partials were =
just not his style. Whatever makes 'em dance!

Q: Didja hear about the two trombone players who went walking past a =
bar???
A: It could happen!!