Found- - - - "The Circle of Sound"!!

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 23:50:53 -0600

Yeah, well, maybe ... but I'm still looking for that thermonuclearmezzanine thing. And while you're at it, what the heck constituted the "thoroughly moisture proofed" feature on some pianos (50's Hobart-Cable for one) ... and that Harmi-tone action that Swarmi-toned salespeople musta loved to point out. Oh, and I like the pianos that have plate castings of "genuine bell metal" (psssst, I think that means iron) and what would be
"artificial bell metal", I wonder.

"Yes, Ma'am, this here piano is a genuine Stradivarious (& Sons). It comes with many exclusive, imported, European features such as the special Clickenskweak pedal system with THREE pedals (just like a CONCERT GRAND and made entirely of metal alloys and real wood!); our Clacki-Track Action (pat. pend.); the prize-winning Stiffenhardt Hammers; our patented two-ply Flexi-Spin (TM) pin block; and, of course, the unique, 95% knothole-free, Pillow-Tone soundboard (guaranteed for the life of the piano!!!)"

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 12/08/2005 9:22:45 PM
Subject: Found- - - - "The Circle of Sound"!!

All,
Had look see at a "Cable" infantile Grand the other day. The name on it escapes me, but it had something to do with the crown being "permanant".<G> Underneath was the "Circle of Sound"!!! Yikes! A laminated "Circle" of "select hardwood" that connected the straight side to the curved side and the belly rail! It did not touch the soundboard. At right angle to the flat side, was a 1/2" bolt/turnbuckle, that went all the way to the curved side, through the center of this thingee. This just HAS to be the elusive "Circle Of Sound" that y'all's been mystified/searching by/for!~!!!!!!!<G>

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I