1948 cable piano

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:43:59 -0500

Go with your gut at once. The harder you look at that action the more
parts will break. You are looking at new whippens, new damper and hammer
flanges, and lots of time to get it all properly regulated.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Dave McKibben
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 9:32 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: 1948 cable piano

Yesterday I came in contact with a 1948 cable piano that has 5 keys that
did not work.
After a brief inspection it was obvious........the plastic jacks, &
flanges had broken.
The action mechanism in this piano is MOSTLY plastic.

My comments:
It is my gut feeling ( having never seen this plastic mechanism before )
that this piano is "alot of broken parts waiting to happen".
While putting the action into my car for review at home, my thumb
accidently put some pressure on the plastic back checks and instantly
broke 4 of them.
Also my gut feeling is to tell the customer that putting $$ into this
could likely be a losing battle.

My question:
before I tell the customer to look for a different piano............
What is the opinion of the more seasoned experts on this list as to the
value of effort to fix this piano and what the future might hold????
Anyone have experience with this type of 'plastic piano' ??

Many thanks in advance
Dave

DavesPianotuning@earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~davespianotuning/