Ebony bridge caps/ Titanium bridge pins

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:31:04 +1100

Hi Guys,

Ron N, that Permali looks as if it wouldn't be much different to
maple impregnated with West System. The base material they're using,
European Beech, isn't quite as dense as Canadian Maple (but that's
probably unimportant), and they're forming it up using a vacuum
press. As I've mentioned previously, we're using our vacuum press to
form up bridge capping from quarter cut sliced 0.5 thick maple veneer
glued with West System in the vacuum press.

When we glue our caps the glue comes right through the veneers to the
unglued outer surfaces. Since wood fibre has a specific density of
around 1.5 grams/cc regardless of species, it probably doesn't matter
a great deal which species is chosen for the basic material to be
added to the West System cap.

Ron O.