Cleaning bass strings

Gerald Forsburg gerald_forsburg@hotmail.com
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:41:00 -0500

BTW, started in 3rd grade and played upright through to just before
college.  Played electric only when needed for jazz band, etc.  Probably
why I never boiled my strings - hate the brassy sound from new strings
on an upright...the mellower, the better, but can understand why an
electric bassist might want it.

Actually not a piano tech...yet...LOL!  Found the site whilst looking
for info on Lauter~Humana Player pianos - we received one recently
(circa 1925?, SN 39698) that is in fairly good condition.  IT re-rolls
fine, but the only way to get it to roll "forward" is to pump as if
running a marathon - and then the notes are a bit out of whack.  Have a
tuner coming by to look at getting it tuned first, and give me a general
assessment of the thing, then I'll either tinker with replacing some of
the parts myself, or if it's real extensive, may look into having it
rebuilt.

Also, BTW, I've never heard such an incredible bass register as in this
piano, even as old as it is!

Gerry

Gerald N. Forsburg

Shenandoah Design

Residential ~ Historic ~ Interiors

P.O. Box 957 ~ Mount Jackson, Virginia 22842
TELE: 540 477 2377  FAX: 540 477 2377
www.DesignShenandoah.com