Ebony bridge caps/ Titanium bridge pins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:38:54 -0600

> But how 'bout if we cut thin laminates of ebony, epoxy them together,
> and epoxy the pins in place - similar to what we are currently doing
> with maple caps?

> Should work as well as maple - or better because the wood is harder?
>
> Terry Farrell

I suppose it depends. How hard and dimensionally stable is enough,
and where do you go beyond the point of diminishing returns in cost
and workability for the benefit derived? If the result is initial
performance similar to laminated maple, with a similar statistical
longevity, it seems unnecessarily wasteful when we could be looking
at other existing composites. The good thing about maple is that
it's available, affordable, workable with our existing tools, and
works pretty well as an epoxy laminated material to minimize the
problems inherent in traditional solid wood bridge caps.

Want exotic? How about something like this?

http://www.permalidehoplast.co.uk/permali.html

Ready to go, just rip it up and glue it on. We're probably working
too hard...

Ron N