Screws

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 00:23:36 -0800

Ed C. said: "
Short version...
I need 2 screws to fit a Hamilton grand piano leg. They need to be 2 inches in length and they are about... a #16 size. the local hardware stores don't carry anything that will suit. Anything longer will immobilize the action. Anything thinner won't stay in the slot unless I ream and plug which I prefer not to do. Schaff probably has them, but they require a $20 order and I just got everything I needed recently. I don't wish to pay $20 plus shipping for a 79 cent order. Anybody got a couple??
Please contact me off line..
Longer version...
I was tuning said Hamilton Grand in a church last Tuesday. It was butted up next to the organ. I thought to move it just a tad so as to be able to tune the top octave more easily. It didn't feel right. I looked underneath and the leg was leaning. Whoops!! what is this??? Got under the piano and saw that the right leg was not attached. The piano was merely resting on the metal tab instead of in the accompanying slot. As I looked up at that unattached leg it occured to me that I was under a very heavy, unsecured object in a deserted church on a Tuesday and Sunday services were a long way off. Later I realized that the pedal lyre might have held up that corner long enough for me to extract myself in the event of a major malfunction. At the moment though my primary thought was that it would behoove me to get out of there. A couple of hymn books on top of the bench managed to secure the corner. But being unable to come up with replacements for the missing screws I t!
ook one
from the other side and got both legs at least tempporarily secure.
Anybody got a couple spare 2" # 16 screws I can get ahold of??
Thanks"
Ed,
I can bring them to the Christmas Dinner on Monday.<G> That'll larn ya ta scrap out some of dem beaters ya gots layin' round.<G>
BTW, are you sure they are #16? They're usually #18's or larger.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I