screws

TOM DRISCOLL tomtuner@verizon.net
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:35:32 -0500

Dude,
    The bolt depot !
    This link was in a recent journal.
    Tom Driscoll
   =20
    http://www.boltdepot.com/
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: Piano Tech List=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 11:27 PM
  Subject: screws

  Short version...
  I need 2 screws to fit a Hamilton grand piano leg.  They need to be 2 =
inches in length and they are about... a #16 size.  the local hardware =
stores don't carry anything that will suit.  Anything longer will =
immobilize the action.  Anything thinner won't stay in the slot unless I =
ream and plug which I prefer not to do.  Schaff probably has them, but =
they require a $20 order and I just got everything I needed recently.  I =
don't wish to pay $20 plus shipping for a 79 cent order.  Anybody got a =
couple?? =20
    Please contact me off line..

  Longer version...
  I was tuning said Hamilton Grand in a church last Tuesday.  It was =
butted up next to the organ.  I thought to move it just a tad so as to =
be able to tune the top octave more easily.  It didn't feel right.  I =
looked underneath and the leg was leaning.  Whoops!!! what is this???  =
Got under the piano and saw that the right leg was not attached.  The =
piano was merely resting on the metal tab instead of in the accompanying =
slot.  As I looked up at that unattached leg it occured to me that I was =
under a very heavy, unsecured object in a deserted church on a Tuesday =
and Sunday services were a long way off.  Later I realized that the =
pedal lyre might have held up that corner long enough for me to extract =
myself in the event of a major malfunction.  At the moment though my =
primary thought was that it would behoove me to get out of there.  A =
couple of hymn books on top of the bench managed to secure the corner.  =
But being unable to come up with replacements for the missing screws I =
took one from the other side and got both legs at least tempporarily =
secure. =20

  Anybody got a couple spare 2" # 16 screws I can get ahold of?? =20

  Thanks

  Ed Carwithen
  P O Box 722
  John Day, OR