Cleaning bass strings

Ben Bradley benbradley@frontiernet.net
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:41:33 -0500

Gerald Forsburg wrote:
> LOL!!!  I was a bass player for years.  Never heard of this, but it
> doesn't surprise me.  We bass players are a weird bunch.  The only

    I've heard of this before, here's a discussion:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/browse_frm/thread/91706ff8a532e9/a4ba16258fdcf442?lnk=st&q=boiling+strings+group%3Arec.audio.pro&rnum=1&hl=en#a4ba16258fdcf442

or if that link is broken by 'wrapping':

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D20D1254C

    The piano at my church (we're small with no real pianists in the
congregation, so it's rarely played) is very dull sounding in the bass.
I'm wondering (okay, I'm new here...) how much of that might be the
strings, and how much the hammers. I suppose as a hammer ages the part
striking the string gets compressed and harder, making for a brighter tone?