Cleaning bass strings

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:59:46 -0600

Hi John:
I've got an ultrasound bath at my current job, but no bass strings to test
(yeah, I'm a newbie).  My "practice" piano is a candidate, I guess, but the
action is out being redone.  How much difference might there be with just
"chipping"?  I'll see if I can scare a couple up from a local established
guy.  How would you get them thoroughly dry?
John

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of John Dorr
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:48 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Cleaning bass strings

Hi all,

I read somewhere about electric bass players who boil their strings when
they
get too grimy and they want to brighten up their tone.  I wondered if anyone

had ever tried that on piano bass (wound) strings?  I've also wondered from
time to time if it would be possible to clean bass strings with ultra-sound.

 Anybody know?

I am aware of the technique of running an overhand loop up and down a
tubby-sounding string, and of giving the string a twist.  I'd love to hear
anybody else's tips on restoring at least some of the tone to old strings.
 Not all my customers can afford a re-stringing job.

Thanks,
John