Cleaning bass strings

John Dorr a440@bresnan.net
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:48:10 -0700

Hi all,

I read somewhere about electric bass players who boil their strings when they
get too grimy and they want to brighten up their tone.  I wondered if anyone
had ever tried that on piano bass (wound) strings?  I've also wondered from
time to time if it would be possible to clean bass strings with ultra-sound.
 Anybody know?

I am aware of the technique of running an overhand loop up and down a
tubby-sounding string, and of giving the string a twist.  I'd love to hear
anybody else's tips on restoring at least some of the tone to old strings.
 Not all my customers can afford a re-stringing job.

Thanks,
John