Dampp Chaser question

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:38:12 -0500

Thanks for the clarification on what happens when water is softened.
Your explanation makes sense. But it still is not making sense to me
that using it will cause corrosion in a piano.

First, I haven't seen it on pianos that have used soft water for many
years.

Next, having used soft water in my home for many years, I can say
anecdotally that soft water is much less corrosive on plumbing fixtures
than hard water is. Hard water still has reactive elements (calcium,
chlorine, manganese, etc) and they ruin plumbing fixtures way worse than
sodium chloride. And for pianos that use hard water I don't see these
elements making it to the piano wire any more than the sodium chloride.

I'd appreciate Roger Wheeler weighing in on the discussion to let us
know what DampChaser's official position is on using soft water. Also if
there are any chemists (maybe you are one, Don) who can quantify the
impact of using soft water in DampChasers. Can those reactive elements
migrate out of the bucket into the action and piano wire?

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802