cleaning strings

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:13:32 -0800

Hi, Simon:
	The supply houses have string erasers called polita cakes.  They look like
ordinary erasers from a stationery store.  There's abrasive particles
impregnated into the rubber, so they do a good job of cleaning rust and
corrosion off the steel strings.  Polita won't work on the copper bass
strings.  You can use a piece of steel wool on those.  Don't use any liquid
on strings, especially bass strings, like brasso or copper cleaner.  It
will make them sound dead.  If your bass strings sound "tubby" and muffled,
you can loosen them and take off the loop at the other end.  Make a coil
with the string to flex the string and break up the dirt and corrosion on
the windings.  Then install them on the pin again, after giving the string
a twist to tighten the coils.  Inspect the coils to see which direction to
do this.  Twist in the direction that the coils are wound.  You will be
amazed at the improvement in the tone of the bass.
	After cleaning the strings, you'll have to retune of course.  Be careful
not to damage the dampers when you do the cleaning.
	Good luck!
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego