Bridge Pins, was Bridge Capping Materials: Ebony?

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:40:53 -0600

A potential problem with (austenitic) Stainless is that there is a =
galvanic reaction with the carbon steel music wire.  The stainless =
eventually will corrode to some degree especially at/near the string =
termination point..

Mark Ultsch
Madison
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Steve Fujan=20
  To: deanmay@pianorebuilders.com ; Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 11:25 PM
  Subject: Re: Bridge Pins, was Bridge Capping Materials: Ebony?

  Hardened stainless steel gets my vote.  Not only is it harder (hence =
more wear resistant), it is also considerably stiffer than titanium.  =
The more flexible titanium would bend more right where the pin enters =
the wood causing higher stress right where you don't want it.  The =
stainless steel would spread the force over greater depth into the =
bridge.=20

  Plus hardened stainless in these small diameters should be relatively =
easy to make, hence cheaper, er..  less expensive than titanium.

  Steve Fujan (BSME, MSME, PE)
  www.fujanproducts.com

  =20
  On 12/2/05, Dean May <deanmay@pianorebuilders.com> wrote:=20
    >>In other words, the smaller the hardness number the harder the =
steel.

    Ooops. That's backwards. A softer material will have a bigger =
diameter=20
    dent and a smaller hardness number. A harder material will have a
    smaller dent and a bigger hardness number.

    I am suspect of the numbers you are quoting, Ron. The little =
research
    I'm doing shows Vickers hardness of mild steel at 140, Hardened =
steel at=20
    900, and titanium at 970.

    Then on an ask the experts site someone asked the hardness ranking =
of
    various metals. Here is the answer:

    In General- and I have to qualify that by saying I'm considering the =

    metals to be in the annealed condition, the aluminum is 1100 alloy, =
the
    T6 (not annealed, but age hardened) aluminum is a 2000 or 7000 =
series
    alloy, and the titanium is 6Al-4V alloy rather than the commercially
    pure stuff (6-4 is a lot more common than CP)- the order would be
    aluminum, brass, bronze, T6 aluminum, mild steel, stainless steel, =
and
    titanium. If the metals are in their hardest conditions, from heat
    treating or cold work, the order would be aluminum, brass, T6 =
aluminum,=20
    bronze, titanium, mild steel, and stainless steel (cutlery grades).
    (http://experts.about.com/q/2280/1021526.htm)

    Dean
    Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
    PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272