Bridge Capping Materials: Ebony?

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:23:46 -0800

Ulrich Sauter showed me the titanium bridge pins Sauter is now using
(only) on their concert Grands.  The idea is that titanium is extremely
hard and therefore conducts vibrations readily.  As well, its low
density and low elasticity give it ideal vibrational characteristics
for bridge pins.  It was apparently not easy to find a supplier who
could manufacture these special pins in the  close  tolerances Sauter
required, and they didn't come cheap.

I was thinking that if there be interest from rebuilders to try
titanium bridge pins.  I doubt that there is much chance of the factory
sharing them with individuals, but if there is enough interest, I could
approach Ulrich and possibly persuade him to part with a certain bulk
amount of these special bridge pins.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
www.pianofortesupply