Dimensions of "Oval" Tuning pins

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:09:33 -0800

To answer your question: During the time of "Oval" tuning pins, which was from Christiphori's time to around 1890, (give or take a few years), the dimensions of "oval" tuning pins was all over the map! This was because, a lot of manufacturers made their own and the basic state of the art, or lack thereof. Understanding how an "oval" pin was made will help you to understand the inconsistancy. A round pin was "threaded", (some were just "roughened"), a hole was made in the upper segment and the pin was heated from the top. Then a heavy blow was dealt to the that pin in the top area, usually with a Sledge Hammer. If the Blacksmith was a good one, you would find a very consistant side dimension. However, the size of the original "pin" stock varied from manufacturer to manufacturer, thus adding another variable into the mess. <G>
As for getting a tip that fits a large percentage of oval tips, .......There ain't one available from any supplier, that I know of. The way I've gotten around this problem is to collect a whole plethora of "ancient" tuning levers. In some instances, I've made a brass shim/sleeve that fits inside of the "tip".
To all of this I say: "Rotsaruck"!<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police