Beating strings and such

KeyKat88@aol.com KeyKat88@aol.com
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:32:48 EST

Greetings,

           This may be a lofty question but here goes:  Is there any
manufacturer that makes equipmnet so that a person can actually see a piano string
vibrate in order to observe nodes and antinodes? What does one need to view this;
a microscope (perhaps that is laughable)?  Would it be some sort of
specialized equipment that say a college/university/research institute would purchase
from a manufacturer that specializes this type of physics lab equipment?

I am reading Hemoltz's On the Sensation of Tone and other books; On Pitch by
Rick Baldassin, and Measured Tones by Ian Johnston. I would like to know more
about inharmonicity.

Thanks in advance.
Key