Drilling for key leads and key flex

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:51:45 -0500

Think I-beam. Nearly all of the stress is carried by the outer fibers.
Drilling through the middle will have negligible effect on the
structural integrity. All of the bending load is carried by the top
layer and bottom layer.

Further, the maximum stress occurs in the middle of the key right at the
key pin hole. The biggest cause of key flexure is the slot cut into the
key right at the point of max stress. Where you need it the most there
is the least section across the top. This is why putting on good key
buttons securely yields big improvements.

Dean
Dean May, BSME, PE             cell 812.239.3359
Engineer in my former life (they just never let me blow the whistle)
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 8:15 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Drilling for key leads and key flex

I don't know for sure, as I am not an engineer, but it sure seem likely
me that a hole drilled half-way through the key will induce half the
flex
that a hole drilled completely through would induce. However, if flex is
the
concern, I should think that if you glued/epoxied the lead in place,
then no
flex would be induced - or rather the change in flex would be limited to
the
flex difference between spruce and lead (good golly, what would that
be?).

So there's my half-cent worth (or worthless, as the case may well be).

Terry Farrell