Back length tuning

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:24:22 -0800

Hi, Ric.

I think a lot depends on the nature of the backscale at hand. If it's a
Steinway or Yamaha type of duplex, with one or two bars per section,
there's only so much you can do, and that amounts to finding an average
location that's nearest to some sweet spot of most intuneness.

I think it's a more interesting question when each note has its own
moveable aliquot, such as my customer's '30's Baldwin concert grand with
individual brass rods from tenor to top. The owner is a concert
carillonist (really) but nevertheless, he noticed odd non-musical
artifacts in the killer octave range, and upon investigation, we
determined that the whole backscale was untuned. (The piano may have
been restrung decades ago, before he bought it, or it may have been this
way from the factory, but we'll never know for sure).

I spent a couple minutes on his grinder adjusting the shape of a piece
of 1/4" brass rod into a "tool", then together we started moving
aliquots until the sound of the harmonic made sense with the speaking
length. (This was not possible in every single case, due to insufficient
available space). We concentrated on octaves 5 and 6.

Immediately, after about an hour's work, we noticed a reduction in
jangliness, and improvement in clarity. A small cloud of background
noise had dissipated, and several months later, he continues to feel the
work was well worth it.

The other interesting case I've seen is Fazioli. They also use an
individual aliquot per note, made of triangular brass rods that they
call "triangolini", Italian for, guess what.

They spend hours on every piano tuning these very exactly in a laborious
iterative cycle, using an etd. It goes something like this:

1 Tune the speaking length as usual.
2 Set the etd to whichever partial this note's aliquot will be tuned to.
3 Pluck the back length, watching the etd to determine whether the back
length is flat or sharp.
4 Tap the triangolino (that's the singular) to move it
5 Retune the speaking length to match the (unchanged) etd.
6 Repeat 3 through 5 until you're satisfied. I think the standard they
use is, etd stopped, so they're not tweezing for illusions; they make
the duplex match the harmonic.

Without A-B'ing two identical pianos, one with tuned and one with
untuned backscale, I can't say definitively, but I will say this:
Fazioli pianos have a very clean, powerful, unadulterated sound. When I
overlay that on my experience with the Baldwin cg, I think I see a
pattern emerging. It just makes sense to me that having a large number
of untuned open lengths at liberty to sympathize with any stimulus
whatever is a recipe for random noise, otherwise known as unmusical
sounds. Organizing those open lengths does make a difference.

One last point. I have tuned a small number of Yamahas in recording
studios, which prior to my arrival had had their duplex scales stripped
out, I'd imagine to reduce extraneous noises when close-miking. Without
exception, those pianos sounded less bright, less interesting, and less
musical to me than the large number of similar pianos I have worked on
with backscales open and functioning. My conclusion from all of the
above is, it makes sense to tune open lengths where possible; and, if
extraneous non-harmonic sounds are a problem, and you can't tune them,
try silencing them.

Hope this helps.

-Mark