wippen support springs

Jack Houweling JackHouweling@dccnet.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 07:57:10 -0700

Thanks Roger and everyone else who responded. Would it not be easier to =
remove the springs and then accurately weight the keys.I will go back =
into my shop and play around with the springs and key weights.=20

Jack Houweling
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Roger Jolly=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:15 PM
  Subject: Re: wippen support springs

  Hi Jack,
                   Samick is using them in the Renner action/  Knabe =
line of pianos,  3 different thickness of spring across the key board.  =
.7mm,  .6mm,  .5mm.   You will hear passionate arguments for and =
against.  The keyboard should be weighted off at 67gms tapered to 60gms =
at the end of the spring section, with the springs disconnected.   =
Springs are the connected, and touch weight adjusted from 54gms in bass =
to 48gms extreme treble.
  I will be going to Korea next week to set up new touch weight =
parameters.

  I like the lowering of mass. and the increase in up weight, from the =
use of springs.   Springs should not support any more than 15gms of down =
weight in the bass and 8-10 gms in the treble.

  As for making weighting more difficult.    I feel you can get very =
even weighting, and use a pre mapped or CNC weight off pattern, the =
springs are simple to adjust once you get the hang of it.

  Springs have been used in the past to hide a multitude of sins at the =
factory level.   Fudging geometry and friction problems.    When used =
correctly, I love them.

  Regards Roger=20
  Technical Consultant
  Samick Music Corp.=20