Pitch in Paris ca. 1860

David Vanderhoofven david@vanderpiano.com
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:12:14 -0500

I have a question which is probably pretty stupid.  How can you tell from
the scale what pitch to choose?  What is a short scale, and what is a long
scale?  Is it possible to tell the difference without doing a lot of
precise measuring?

Does a long scale mean a lower pitch?  And does a short scale mean a higher
pitch?  Why is this so?

Thanks!
David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO