pitch in 1860

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:24:19 -0700

Hello Calin,

In 1880, Alexander Ellis presented a paper before the Royal Academy of
Arts in London.  He had researched the pitches of organs, concerts,
pianos etc. across Europe.  It is fascinating how HIGH most of the
pitches were in his treatise.

In 1854, according to his report, "Pleyel's Pianos" in Paris had a pitch
of 446.0 Hz  In 1856, a Paris Pianofortemaker's fork was 446.2 Hz.

On a side note, I hope you are not using modern high tension steel wire
on such an instrument!  A suitable alternative is Pure Sound stainless wire.

Regards,
Jurgen Goering
www.pianofortesupply.com