Measuring string/bridge gap

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:03:30 -0500

> Great, another data collector!

Good.

> I think the feeler gage check is only going to be effective if there is a
> fairly large length of the string that is above the cap (such as if the
> string is entirely off the cap and only touching at the pins) so that there
> is room to get the gage in.

This is the only case that counts, isn't it? If the string is in
contact with the cap anywhere, it is still on the cap and not up the
pins.

>For strings that are above the cap only
> locally at the pins then we may need to come up with a different means of
> measurement, such as the dial indicator you mention below.

We have one, or at least an indicator. Seating the string at the pin
  can produce a visible movement, an audible sound, and a measurable
drop in pitch, even after the feeler gage (or whatever) shows the
string in contact with the center of the cap. I kind of like the
dial indicator idea to test this. Setting one indicator on a suspect
string, centered between pin rows, and another on the speaking
length, as close to the bridge pin as possible, take readings, seat
the string at the bridge, and take another pair of readings to see
what moved where, and how much. I plan to try this before tear down
on the next piano in. Maybe it will produce something meaningful to
some of us - maybe not. If you guys come up with something, please
let us know.

Ron N