Whippen support springs

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:50:58 +0100

Hi Jack.

Like em or not, me thinks we are going to see a whale of a lot more of
them at least in Europe. Thats because in a couple years now lead in
keys will be forbidden by law.  Alternatives are magnetic schemes like
my own open source design, or some of the patented ones that some few
factories have.

One of the backdraws is there proximity to where a voicing block is to
be inserted. Not usually the easiest of things to do if one wants to
avoid changing the tension on the springs whilst still using a voicing
block.  There are some touch concerns that are argued back and forth. As
usual, there is much opinion and less hard facts on the subject, but I
think its fair to say the use of springs provides a different touch then
use of leaded keys.

A leadless key is certainly possible however.  More then likely one
would opt for fairly light hammers in the case. But its a doable within
acceptable touch parameters.  I personally prefer a more mass based
system... but thats just me.

Cheers
RicB

Jack writes

I would like to know some things about wippen support springs. Who uses =
them?  Do companies still continue to use them?  Should they be removed? =
I know they make key weighting difficult.=20

Jack Houweling