Factory Overstrike

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:42:13 +0100

Hi Phil

No, at least not to this degree.  Besides... the  key word is <<clue>>.
Think about it.  A typical hammer shank is 5.5 mm Ø. This then again is
regulated to 3 + mm above rest rail cushion.  The thickness of the
cushion on the rest rail is what... 6 mm ?? (guessing).  Thats about  48
- 11.75 mm blow distance.  36.25 mm
???  That means hammers would have to have worn down somewhere around 8
mm.... which would dig into wood on most hammers.

Then of course there was the bore length to the core tip on hammers I
removed.  You'da had to have monster amounts of felt covering these to
end up with an origional bore length of 53 (which was what was needed here)

Of course tho... worn hammers require a higher drop screw, and letoff
setting, and rest rail setting.

Cheers
RicB

>/Hi Terry
/>/
/>/Boy are we on the same rollercoaster.  I just got done doing a hammer
/>/replacement on a Bluthner here at school. Someone had replaced these
/>/hammers a few years back and had really managed to muck up the bore
/>/length.  A couple <<clues>> were drop screws turned up as high as possible
/>/and still too much drop,  hammer rest rail at 48 mm from strings !!...
/
Wouldn't you expect to see both of these things with severely worn hammers?

Phil F