Wurliter puzzler

tom driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:00:02 -0400

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:38 PM
  Subject: RE: Wurliter puzzler

  If after you've tried everything everyone else has recommended, look =
to see if the legs could be covering the screw going up from below.   =
Just last week I had to jack up the trebel side and remove the leg to =
get to the screw...unlikely though...this was a Cable grand.

  David Ilvedson

  David,
      Good suggestion.
      I had a Story and Clark grand--Made by Yamaha in the 70's with the =
front legs reversed.
      The clue is the leg having a hole to expose the screw going into =
the cheek.
      Without a hole in the leg even in the wrong place, you can =
discount  this possibility
      Luckily a crew of carpenters was in the house and one of them made =
a simple frame out of 2 by 6's stiffened with plywood gussetts.
      We lifted the piano and placed the frame under the front of the =
keybed ,lifting the front legs  an inch off the floor.
      I was able to to switch the legs and get the action out.
      This enabled the lady to not accept my proposal for regulation on =
this 35 year old hadn't been tuned in 10 years ,neglected piano.
      Sometimes you win, sometimes ------
     Thanks for listening my comrades.
      Tom Driscoll  RPTired