Factory Overstrike

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:02:02 +0100

Hi Terry

Boy are we on the same rollercoaster.  I just got done doing a hammer
replacement on a Bluthner here at school. Someone had replaced these
hammers a few years back and had really managed to muck up the bore
length.  A couple <<clues>> were drop screws turned up as high as
possible and still too much drop,  hammer rest rail at 48 mm from
strings !!... ie a reallllly short stroke.  These hammers were so worn
down it was impossible to be sure of the origional bore length, but
after boring to 53 mm for the new hammers I had to lower everything like
drastically.   Seems like many techs doing this kind of work still dont
know how do deal with finding the proper bore length.  My best guess on
this one was that whomever just guessed at the bore length based on a
worn down set of hammers.

Cheers
RicB

-------------------------------

I experienced a new low today. I did a bunch of work on a 6' Hyundai =
action (10 yo) and was set to do a bench regulation. Using my =
pre-measured string heights, I found that I obviously made a gross =
mistake with my measurement somehow. So I drove the 40 miles back to the =
piano and re-measured - my original measurements were correct. The =
hammers on this thing were bored to produce a full quarter-inch =
overstrike.

What are the correct words here - this is amazing - did they build all =
their pianos this way? Don't they just have some jig in the factory =
where all hammers for this model are drilled the same way? Did =
somebody's finger get in there and jacked the jig up a quarter inch?

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Maybe I just haven't been =
around long enough!

Terry Farrell