Ivory removal

Mark Dierauf pianotech@nhpianos.com
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:55:08 -0400

You might removing the bulk of the wood on a table saw and then
microwaving the moistened remainder. This works well on ebony sharps,
too.

- Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Gamble [mailto:michael@gambles.fsnet.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:56 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Ivory removal

Hello Listers
Any GOOD ideas for removing ivories from keys without damaging the
ivories? In this particular case the keys are to be disposed of
(Bechstein Model 10 vertical strung upright, 85 keys, Nr.74325) The
attached action is also being disposed of. The piano carcase has already
been dumped. This is the result of flooding up to the underside of the
keybed. I need the space but need the ivories intact. I could, I know,
cut away the wood keys then chip away the remains of wood - but I
wondered if one were to be in the position of re-covering the keys what
approach one would use to carefully remove the re-useable ivories.
Regards
Michael G.(UK)