DMSO

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:23:26 -0700

Geoff asked: "DMSO is applied directly to the skin, is it not? How would =
that promote =3D
rust
in a piano?"

Geoff,
Yes, DMSO is applied directly to the skin. HOWEVER, the darned stuff =
goes through the system and is expelled through the pores. You can smell =
it and it permeates the whole house environment! One incident, I had, =
was a lady was using it and had a nice Everett Conslole. Called me to =
tune and trouble shoot some problems. When I opened it up, the whole =
piano, (everything that was iron/steel) was a mass of RUST!! Yikes! =
(said I) After some conversation, she told me she had the same problem =
with her sewing machine! I took the piano into the shop for a thorough =
de-rusting and restringing. One month after delivery, it started to get =
rusty again!!! (even though I was very fastidious in the de-rusting, =
etc.) I took humidity readings at the initial visit and on each one =
after delivery. Nothing out of the ordinary was detected. I put a =
damp-chaser in the piano and that seemed to slow it down, but not =
completely eliminate it!
BTW, DMSO was originated to clean metal, specifically steel. It does =
that. In fact, it does it so well, that it makes steel, in normal =
humidity conditions, extremely susceptable to rusting. Not a fun gig! I =
v'e had other instances with that stuff. Because there is a Dr. at the =
OHSU, medical facility, in Portland, who specializes in the use of DMSO, =
there are probably more cases than I'm aware of, in this area.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I