bridge pin angles

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:14:43 -0700

>This is simply incorrect.  True enough when a soundboard and bridge
>become so damaged that there is no positive bearing, or that bearing
>is lacking relative to some portion of the bridge surface, then
>seating becomes a very temporary fix.... increasingly so with the
>amount of damage. But this does not cover the cases when strings
>need seating despite positive bearing all around.
>
>RicB

If humidity increases and the bridge moves up and the string does
not, then the cap will be crushed locally by the pin.  When the
humidity decreases then the cap will move back down and once again
the string will not.  So there will be a gap between the string and
the bridge cap at the edge of the notch, even if downbearing is
positive.  So, you have a case where the string needs to be seated
despite positive downbearing.  I don't see why this case isn't
covered.

Phil F