DC and rust

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:26:18 -0700

Joe --
=20
DMSO is applied directly to the skin, is it not? How would that promote =
rust
in a piano?
=20
-- Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 4:39 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: DC and rust

Geoff asked: "Greetings all --

About a year ago I replaced an old rusted out DC system in a clients =
grand
with a complete new system and control box. The water tank support rails =
had
literally rusted away and the tank had fallen out. Did I say it was old?
Anyway, at the same time I also replaced two broken strings up in the =
high
treble. The entire piano was on the rusty side and my guess is that age
along with rust had caused these two strings to break.=20

On a return visit last weekend I found another string up in the high =
treble
had broken. I also noticed increased signs of rust, most notably on the =
new
strings I had replaced only a year ago.=20

The client lives in Los Angeles about three miles from the beach. She =
tends
to be cold most of the time so the forced air heating system runs a lot.
While the vent in the piano room is blocked, there is a sliding glass =
door
that is infrequently open leading to the outside. All in all not what I
would call an environment that would be rust promoting.=20

Could the DC system be causing the rust? I'm open to suggestions."
=20
Geoff,
Politely ask the "sweet thing" if she uses DMSO! (As used for Arthritis,
etc.) Odds are, she does. AND that is the cause for all of the rust! If =
this
is the case, there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to prevent further =
rust!
I've been down that road and all I can say is YIKES!
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I