Bridge pin angles

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:31:13 -0700

>The point is that we can't assume downbearing, so we angle and
>offset pins to provide a positive termination that's largely
>independent of bearing.

If we're a factory cranking out pianos using construction methods
that don't guarantee downbearing or using a design that doesn't
insure downbearing long term, then we better have lots of insurance.
I thought the point of these endless discussions about rib crowned
boards, laminated ribs, proper rib size for bearing load applied,
etc. was for us as rebuilders to arrive at a point where we're doing
what we're claiming the factories are not doing.  Designing and
building a board that's structurally adequate for the load applied,
insuring that it has the bearing load intended when it leaves the
shop, and is going to stay that way long term.  If we're
accomplishing this then I don't see that we need the levels of
insurance of said factory.

>  If the above piano had 15°-20° angled front bridge pins in that
>problem unison, the only tonal problem would have been the generally
>nasty distortion at higher attack levels in the killer octave that
>everyone is so used to hearing that they don't even notice, and
>everyone would have been happy. What I'm interested in is a standard
>of offset and pin angle that will reliably provide that termination.
>I'm not particularly interested in establishing minimum tolerances,
>because I don't wish to build to minimum tolerance, and these
>tolerances can't be accurately established anyway. There are too
>many variables.
>
>Ron N

Establishing a minimum and building to it are two different things.
I'd like to know what the minimums are.  If what is needed for the
termination to function properly with a properly set up and properly
functioning board is 2 degrees of side bearing and a bridge pin angle
of 5 degrees then I don't want to put on 10 degrees of side bearing
and a 20 degree pin angle just to be safe, because there are negative
consequences for doing so, in the form of poorer rendering and
increased bridge cap wear.

Phil F