Bridge pin angles

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:13:03 +0100

Hi Phil

A couple things might be good to keep in mind whilst all these more
abstract numbers scenarios are being tossed around.  Bridge pin angle is
something that has been experiemented with by manufacturers through the
years.  The present standards are more a result of experience with what
actually works then a reliance on what in theory should work. And of
primary concern has been holding a strong contact to the bridge in the
face of even the strongest levels of play.

One only needs to look at the Capo bar and the classic Steinway forward
duplex arrangement to see how much action is really going on at
termination points. The constant battle to keep <<noise>> from  front
terminations under control shows clearly the need for some kind of a
clamp condition for the very mild angle the strings are offset at the
bridge.

The front edge of the bridge is going to get crushed because of a whole
varity of factors.  The fact that the string is being yanked up and down
violently non the least.  I've noticed very clear evidence that strings
that are played more then others will display deeper grooves over time.
I've also noted conclusive evidence that strings will dig significantly
into the bridge cap without the presence of bridge pins, more then some
might think.

One other thought... since you are interested in the numbers
perspective.  Amoung the factors exerting a significant force upwards is
that 1500 psi the bridge cap can take, which I assume increases with
each tiny micron of compression in the wood.  With that at a maximum,
the net force needed to break whatever friction levels at the pins is
quite a bit lower yes ...?  Strings vibrating, soundboard vibrating,
pins themselves vibrating,  all pretty violently seen from perspective
of that exact termination point.

For doubters... find an old beater and shave off about 2 mm of bridge
cap, and replace with same thickness brass... carefully fitting around
the front bridge pins to yeild the same termination profile as a new
wooden cap. Re-string the spot and subject it to some concentrated use
conditions for a half a year... bang on the string...vary the humidity
over time.... etc etc.

Cheers
RicB

Phil Ford writes

Thinking some more about bridge notch crushing.  Aside from making the cap
from some impenetrable substance, one way to reduce bearing stress at the
notch edge would be to reduce resistance to the upward movement of the
string.  This could be done by reducing side bearing angle and bridge pin
angle.  If there was no side offset at all and the pin was straight up and
down then it could easily slide as the bridge moved and the downbearing
would be enough to keep it seated on the bridge at all times.  Of course,
it wouldn't sound too good.  I wonder what lower limits would be?  Has
anyone experimented with this.  I would think that establishing minimum
sidebearing angle would be something that some piano company has worked
on.  Is anyone aware of any numbers?  Bridge pin angle is something that
seems less obvious as an item of investigation, but perhaps work has been
done on that too.  Anyone know of anything?

Phil Ford