Charles Walter peeve

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:54:03 EDT

Hi list,

I like Charles Walter pianos.  I work on many of them.  I think  they are
solidly built, and the overall quality is pretty good.  But there  is one thing
that has been bugging me about the verticals..  Every action  I've removed from
a console or studio is wedged in to the  point where I have to lower the
bottom-ball bolts in order to pull the  action out from under the action bracket
bolts.  In order to get to those  bolts, one must take out a neighboring key or
two.  That requires removal  of the key-stop rail and the fallboard(4 screws
and one nut to remove  both).

I replaced a bass string the other day, which took about 10 minutes or  less.
 Taking the action out and getting the whole thing back together took
substantially more time than that.  Three times as long, I'm embarassed to  admit.
Of course, having the whole thing back together, then dropping one  of the
fallboard screws under the keys didn't help much....}-;

Next time I won't remove the action.  I'll just tighten the pedal way  down
to get the dampers out of the way.

I can't think of a good reason why the actions are wedged in so tight  on
these pianos.  Any insight on this?

Thanks,

Dave Stahl