Bass String Replacement

selahpiano@bellsouth.net selahpiano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:30:53 -0400 (EDT)

On 19 Apr, Joseph Freeman wrote:
> Another Potter student here and I just did a universal string replacement on
> D#3 (two string unison) on my old console about three weeks ago.  Although
> Potter doesn't address the procedure directly, he does refer you to the
> Schaff instructions.
>

> I had two problems:
>

> I had a hard time measuring the length of the winding on the original
> string.  You're supposed to allow for stretch when measuring, but because I
> had removed some of the winding from the top of the string to attempt a knot
> (I was following directions in a recent Journal.  The break was in the
> speaking length.)   The winding ends were not even on the other strings.  I
> think some of the other strings were replacements, too.

In this situation you can insert the string in the piano and hook it on
the hitch pin / bridge pins and measure the copper winding length by
pulling the string tight by hand (but not up to pitch of course) and
then gauge your cut by the neighboring string's windings.  This works on
the hitch pin end too, you just have to guess, I mean allow, for slight
deviation due to a difference in tension and the extra thickness of the
string that is in contact with the bridge pins. It's best to measure and
hitch pin end first and unravel the copper then re-measure to get the
length of the winding toward the tuning pin.

> The second problem was making the cuts in the winding.  I wasn't sure what
> to use, so I went with a new pair of needle nose pliers with a wire cutting
> section.  I used to do a little electrical work and was pretty good at
> taking insulation off of thin wires if I didn't have a pair of strippers.
> Well, let's just say it wasn't as neat as I would have liked.  I'm still not
> sure what type of cutter to use.  (A pair of diagonal cutters or even
> insulation strippers?)  Then, trying to start unwinding the winding proved
> difficult, but went pretty quick after finally getting the end off the core.

Needle nose with cutters work fine. Getting a good clean cut can take
practice.  You may try making an initial cut and then rotate the pliers
in the direction of the winding and cut again, repeat until you go all
the way around.  Cut the core wire slightly longer than what will be
required when you install the string.  Start unwinding the string.  On
the smaller sizes you can hook the loop end of the string on something
that will hold, grab hold of the winding (or unwinding) that you started
to take off the string with your pliers and pull.  The copper should
unravel quickly.  This can be done while the string is in the piano.
Sometimes you may have to replace a damper or two (oops).

> The result was a string that gives me a "wild" sounding unison when striking
> the note with a firm blow, but it settles quickly.  I think this is either
> from the windings being the wrong length (by a mm or two) or I may have
> loosened the windings on the core.  When playing with light to medium blows
> I can hear it, but it's not too bad.  I would never leave this on a better
> piano, but since the rest of the strings in this sections are so uneven,
> it's hard to pick out the new string unless you know which one it is.
> Given the condition of the piano and how uneven the strings sound anyway, I
> could have lived with the result if I had hired a tech to replace the
> string.  I do plan on a re-do in the near future.

It is best not to use universal strings in my opinion.  By the time I
really got the nack for installing them I stopped using them.  Now just
an ocasional pso containing previous lousy string replacements gets
these strings. In these cases the well installed universal string is
usually a vast improvement over its neighbors.

P Lamos
Brunswick, GA

 I hope this helps.