Bridge pin angles

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:23:00 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Thinking some more about bridge notch crushing.  Aside from making the cap
from some impenetrable substance, one way to reduce bearing stress at the
notch edge would be to reduce resistance to the upward movement of the
string.  This could be done by reducing side bearing angle and bridge pin
angle.  If there was no side offset at all and the pin was straight up and
down then it could easily slide as the bridge moved and the downbearing
would be enough to keep it seated on the bridge at all times.  Of course,
it wouldn't sound too good.  I wonder what lower limits would be?  Has
anyone experimented with this.  I would think that establishing minimum
sidebearing angle would be something that some piano company has worked
on.  Is anyone aware of any numbers?  Bridge pin angle is something that
seems less obvious as an item of investigation, but perhaps work has been
done on that too.  Anyone know of anything?

Phil Ford