Capstan Angle

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:44:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I'd like to add my slant to this discussion.
>
>Repeatedly, time and time again, I've corrected regulation problems
>(insufficient after touch) by decreasing the angle of the capstan without
>altering KR.
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page

Jon,

If I understand what you're saying here, by moving the capstan you achieved
more keydip.  I'm assuming that is what you mean by correcting for
insufficient aftertouch.  My contention is that you cannot get more keydip
with the same blow distance without changing key ratio (KR).  When you
changed the capstan angle you also changed the point of contact between
wippen heel and capstan, altering the key ratio, even though you think that
you didn't.  This is the point that I was also trying to make in my
not the change in capstan angle which has caused the change, but the change
in the contact point, or point of force application.

Phil Ford