Age of an ARMSTRONG Upright !

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:33:05 -0500

At 11:30 4/19/2005, you wrote:
>HI,
>I'm looking for the age of an ARMSTRONG Upright early last century. This
>piano was purchased in the approx 1914 second-hand. Its number marked on
>the plate [in marker ]is 16056. By the Pierce Atlas this number is bogus
>or am I not reading the numbers in the Atlas correctly.Would anyone have
>any ideas on this make of piano number series?
>Would like to know for a customer.
>Regards
>George

The company was founded in1884, as you see, and Pierce starts the listing
at 1900 w/43000.

Are you SURE it is 20th cent and not late 19th?  Full plate? 3/4
plate?  Try interpolating from a starting number like 1000 or 10,000 or, if
you work back using their apparent output rate of 2000/year that would make
#16056 made about 1886.  Probably later as they likely weren't up to that
production speed right off the bat.

If you can't find a reasonable sequence serial number anywhere like
soundboard (front or back) or inside case sides,  there might be a
decipherable casting date on the plate.  There also might be a penciled
date on the back of one of the action rails (they were proud of their work
in those days). I know the practice has been decried on this list, but an
early tuner might have left a date.

All of these would be hints.  Happy hunting!

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
It's gone right now and didn't leave a forwarding address.