Capstan angle

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:30:20 +0100

Hi David, and Phil

I got to agree with Dave here.  In fact, if the key is oriented
horizontally and the ratio equated to the key being balanced thus, then
the key ratio is exactly the straight line from the front of the key to
the middle of the balance rail pin to the middle of the hole of the
capstan.  Thats the balance ratio in anycase.  The ratio of the key in
any other position can be calculated in the same way really after one
adjusts for the offset from horizontal. Or... one can use Torque to
figure it out for any given angle... which is more ususal I suppose.
In essence tho.. the key ratio is dependant at any given time on its
angular orientation.  But if half way through the key stroke the key is
horizontal... then its perhaps easier to just view it that way to begin
with for simplicity.

Cheers
RicB

Sorry, but you are incorrect about the key ratio.  The key ratio depends
completely on where the capstan enters the key, nothing more nothing
less.  The ratio of the wippen lever, on the other hand, will depend on
where the top of the capstan contacts the wippen heel.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net <mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net>