Capstan angle

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:43:31 -0400

Hi Phil,

> >I'm not talking about the overlapping holes, you can simply plug the old
> >ones.
>
> I don't understand why there would be any overlapping holes.  If the
> capstan is angled back and you want to angle it forward and keep the
> wippen heel contact point the same, the holes would be in a
> completely different place (and obviously at a different angle).

Perhaps I should have said "partially overlapping."  When the angle is
flipped (with a much milder angle in the other direction, tangential to
radius from the balance rail hole to the capstan head), the hole would
actually overlap by about 1/4 of the hole's diameter, as I recall.  Anyway,
I'd be drilling through a mixture of wood and fill.  I didn't know how well
that would work, so I simply didn't bother with it.  ;-)  Maybe next time I
do work on that part of the piano.

Peace,
Sarah