onlypure tuning

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 19:46:50 -0400 (EDT)

I feel compelled to respond to this thread.

  I love experimenting with tuning methods. Often
trying(for better or worse) new things; playing with
many techniques including ghosting, difference tones,
3,4 and 5 note combinations using the sostenuto pedal,
to come up with a best blend of various chordal
combinations of octaves and 5ths over an octave, or
several octave spread. .... etc. etc. etc.

  Finding a most pure spot compromise of 3 notes
sounded together over a given spread is nothing new.
Do it all the time.

  It disturbs me that someone would patent a tuning
method. It is like patenting a musical cord, it is
not possible, because it is not right. It is basic
nature.

   I reserve the right to play any combination of
2,3,4 notes together in any pattern I want, and tune
them as pure as I want or push them outside pure as
much as I want at anytime, anywhere. In the same way
as playing jazz I do not have to be careful what
notes I play in what order in a jazz solo. Also I
will never be careful about what 3 note combinations
not to use while tuning.

   Just the concept of patenting a tuning method
I find bizarre and somewhat repulsive. The nature of
sound dictates basic harmony and tuning, it is not
man's invention, it is natural. It is like try to
patent water. Nobody invented it, it was always there,
basic.

   I do not see this as something new. Name any
3 note pattern using octaves and 5ths, I have done it.
Even over several octaves using sostenuto.

  ........Perhaps I should patent sosteuto pedal
use sustaining large 3 note spreads while
tuning.......every piano could be equipped with a
sensor on the sostenuto and have to be activated
while tuning....5 cents a touch.

  I know I am getting bazaar myself, and cynical.
In a musical culture spanning centuries where so much
has been contributed freely for the love of the art,
..patent an instrument, a song, but not the nature of
sound itself.

  I tune every which way...and nobody will put up a
wall to any method.

                           Cheers
                           David Renaud