marketing a patented tuning Was OnlyPure

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:10:12 -0500

I think Alan hit this on the head by saying that this new improved tuning,
as it were, is quite likely not so improved over the way the rest of the
world tunes (and perhaps not so original, as others have alluded).

Think for a moment, how many clients, (performers or otherwise) know their
instrument is out of tune.  Consider now, how many of those can tell the
difference from one temperament to the next.  Consider now, those who can
discern if some of your thirds are not quite right.  Consider now, how many
can tell if Bernhard Stopper tunes their piano, or anyone else in the world.
Consider now, how many of these who say they can tell the difference at any
of these levels really can.

Seriously - and no, Bernhard, we are not joking around hear to allay fears -
the number of clients in the world, let alone in my area, that could
possibly tell the difference, is so absurdly small (nonexistent here), as to
be laughable.  The end result of your trying to patent this method is to
alienate many in the industry by your pretensions.  And for what.  I say
again, people who cannot differentiate on this level sure as hell aren't
going to pay more for that Stopper Tuning.  Those who might pay more, in
most cases, are paying for ostentation and tongue fodder, "I have this
instrument tuned in the Purely Whatever, it is the best in the world."

Even when you can tell, by analyzing intervals etc., see what happens during
the performance.  I doubt anyone will hear a thing, except that your unisons
are not clean.

Just my not so humble opinion.

William R. Monroe