Question 1, Naïve Question 2 was RE: Seating Strings

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:12:33 -0500

1.  I've never done it, but has anyone used (or seen in a piano) any of
those metal "repair" thingies for the bridge, with the built in projections
for pins? I can only imagine this as a desparate repair in a dying piano,
but it would be a "pin" that doesn't wiggle or rise up and I'm wondering how
there are with regard to false beats.

2.  I know there is an experimental three-pin bridge system but I got to
wondering (after reading today's plethora of posted points on the topic)
about a completely different system, something agraffish for example, with a
more definitive, multi-directional supported termination. Now be nice, I
already admitted it's a naïve question ...

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 2:39 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Seating Strings

Hi Phil.

I think really thats part of the problem with this theme.  Seems to me
like a variety of conditions can occur which can be addressed by seating
the strings.. some successfully, some not.
One can find the condition where there is poor contact along the entire
surface of the bridge, or poor contact just at the forward bridge pin,
even poor contact at the back pin alone. One can find poor contact when
there has yet to form a groove, and one can find a groove so deep that
the edge can lie below the line the string makes from front termination
at the aggraffe/capo to the highest point of deflection on the bridge.
In some of these cases seating will succesfully deal with the problem of
poor contact until whatever combintation of factors that cause the
condition re-occur in sufficient degree to displace the string again. In
some other cases... such as the latter mentioned.. string seating would
probably not last more then a few minutes...hours at best me thinks.

As for the video.... I wonder if he would sell copies... or make a mini
version for the internett !? :)

Cheers
RicB

Phil responds to:

>/Seems to me that  carefull observation clearly reveals that strings do
/>/indeed somehow climb up these pins.
/
I also think we may need to clarify what we mean by climbing the pin.  Are
you talking about the whole string lifting itself off of the bridge cap or
the portion of the string at the notch not wanting to stay down in the
groove that tends to form with time?

>/   Just how remains perhaps a mystery.
/>/I sure would like to hear more about Maninnos video tho.... :) />/
/>/Cheers />/RicB / Me too.  I wonder if he'll have them at the upcoming
convention?

Phil Ford