Was OnlyPure not (flame time?)

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:02:04 -0400

At 12:22 PM -0400 4/15/05, A440A@aol.com wrote:
>Also,  I really object to using 'Pure' to describe
>tempered intervals.  Minimum beating is "purer" but NOT  "Pure".  Something is
>either contaminated or it is not.

I believe Bernard defined it as the width yielding the smallest sum
of beat rates of the relationships therein. For instance, in a 5th,
that adjustment of the fundamentals for which the sum of the 3:2 beat
rate + the 6:4 br (oh, alright...include the 9:3 on through the
n:2n/3) is the smallest. Same for the octave. Mathematically this is
the best concensus among all the coincidental partials beating in
that interval. And I'm sure he is factoring in inharmonicity for each
note as well.

I'd bet that in the long history of piano tuners describing
intervals, such a use of the word "pure" is unique.

At 5:45 PM +0100 4/15/05, Bernhard Stopper wrote:
>(he must work with the sostenuto pedal to handle his approach)

or pitch-shimming.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"All God's Children got Rhythm"
     ...........Ivy Anderson in "A Day at the Races"