P 12ths Tunings

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:32:01 -0400

At 9:05 AM +0100 4/14/05, Ric Brekne wrote:
>Me thinks Bernard missed his chance to patent this idea  when he
>first wrote about this some 20 years ago. Even so... patenting a
>tuning method ???

The principle of U.S. patent law is that an idea cannot be patented,
but its implementation can. Although this hasn't prevented large
corporations like Monsanto from copyrighting the DNA of rice and by
extension, all descendants (further elaborations) of it.

So I'm patenting my pattern for the temperament based not the
particular width of an octave therein but on a P12th. Gonna brand it
the Sonaeus. And sit back and wait for the royalties to arrive in my
numbered Swiss bank account.

(.....giggle)

Mr. Bill

"A jester unemployed is nobody's fool."
     ...........Danny Kaye, in "The Court Jester"