Too much sustain?

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:18:20 -0400

Hi Cy,

Stephen Birkett wrote well about what I meant. Perhaps I confused the=20
issue a little with my rant about pianists over-pedalling :)

To give you a specific example, one problem was with 2 measures which=20
have a half note (or minim, not sure where you're from!). The measures=20=

signify the end of a section, and they are to be played quietly with a=20=

brief decrease in volume (a kind of "dying out" sound), but if the=20
attack on the piano is too quiet the rhythm is lost. Since this is=20
Hindemith and as such is inappropriate to have a sappy-overly-held-end=20=

(in order to achieve a decrease in volume), the only 2 reasonable=20
options were to loose the rhythm by starting too quiet or loose the=20
decrease in volume, I felt the rhythm was more important.

- John

> John,
> =A0
> Did you have too much sustain only when the pedal is down, or also=20
> when it's up?=A0 In either case, can't you control it with the =
dampers,=20
> either individually on the key or with the pedal?=A0 In classical=20
> guitar, we sometimes use our hand to mute strings quickly, when=20
> needed.=A0 The only situation in a piano with too much sustain that I=20=

> can think of is in the undamped high treble.
> =A0
> --Cy--=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available